There’s nothing quite as aggravating as unexpected guests in your home – and no, we don’t mean your in-laws! We’re talking about pests, a problem that may start small and be seemingly harmless but can grow into a potentially devastating burden. Before calling a pest company, however, there are some things to consider. Below are some questions that will help you find the right pest company for you.
1. Can I see your credentials? Don’t be afraid to ask for their ID, license, and certification – all of which must be current.
2. Are you insured? This will keep you safe and headache free, should something happen to your property during pest control.
3. What is your experience with this particular type of pest? You want to make sure the person resolving the issue has experience with the problem.
4. Can I see/review some customer feedback?
The company may be able to provide some references for you who can share their experiences with the company. You may also ask around about the company, perhaps family and friends have used them before, and you can check out their reputation on the Better Business Bureau’s website (www.bbb.org
5. How much will this cost? Find out the price of the pest control, if you have to pay anything up front, if payments are done in installments, etc.
6. Will I need follow-up service? Depending upon the pest, some homes may need quarterly or monthly check-ups. If signing a contract for either option, read everything carefully and ask questions if you aren’t sure about anything before you sign.
7. Will you be using chemicals for this? Some pests need to be eliminated by chemical extermination. Your pest control technician will be able to explain what methods will be used, if they’re non-toxic, possible side effects, non-chemical options, etc.
8. Can I have a report following the extermination? Be sure to get a copy of the service performed, any steps required afterward to prevent future pest problems, costs, etc.
9. What can I do for future prevention? Your technician will be able to give you tips on how to prevent future issues with pests. As stated earlier, you may need quarterly or monthly inspections. Or, your home may be safe after the initial extermination. Either way, the professionals will guide you towards protecting your home from future invasion.
10. Is satisfaction guaranteed? All reputable companies strive towards pleasing customers. However, that isn’t always the case. Talk with your potential technician and see what options are available for you should the service experience not turn out as expected.