Nothing ruins summer plans quite like pests – whether it’s flies at the BBQ, ants at the picnic, or mosquitoes by the pool. Here are five ways to be pest-free this summer so you can soak up the sun and enjoy the season.
- Prevent entry into your home. When it comes to keeping pests out of your home, your greatest line of defense is blocking entry. Inspect screens on doors and windows for holes, repair if any are found. Look for gaps around doors and windows, and replace window stripping if needed.
- Keep your kitchen clean. Leaving crumbs out will only attract pests; wipe down counters, sweep floors, store food in properly sealed containers, and take out the trash on a regular basis.
- Remove any standing water. Standing water is the perfect breeding environment for mosquitoes; walk around your property and look in rain spouts, check the AC unit for leaks, and pick up any toys that have been scattered throughout your yard.
- Keep your yard clean. Don’t allow overgrowth, as this will only attract the presence of pests. Keep your bushes and trees within close proximity to the house trimmed and rake up any debris left over from storms. Remove all weeds as well.
- Don’t leave out fruits and vegetables. If these foods become overripe on your counter, you will have fruit flies, which are quite a pain to get rid of from a home.